Saturday, January 20, 2007

Alex Ross


I think Alex Ross is one of the most insightful critics working today. It helps he writes for the New Yorker, far and above the only magazine I'd want if stranded on a desert island. Okay, I'd ask for at least one other choice... Though his praise of R. Strauss is a bit perplexing, his writing on John Adams (Dr. Atomic) and Tan Dun's opera are right on. Also, now that I think of it, his article on Feldman last year took readers to a new level of appreciation for Feldman's concept of time. Like his abstract exp. friends working on every larger scales of color, form and space, Feldman attempted the same expansion with time. Ah, a memory. This reminds me of Marilyn Nonken's performance of Triadic Memories at the Cleveland Museum of Art a few years back. For sure, an amazing mind-expanding concert experience. For more on Alex's writings, see his blog at:
http://www.therestisnoise.com/

No comments: